A little over a dozen of us from various parts of the world just finished an inspiring 6-week online course facilitated by Chris Johnstone and Barbara Ford. Together we read the book “Active Hope” by Joanna Macy and Chris. You can read about the book here and the announcement for the course here.
One thing we did in the course was the following exercise, shown here for the benefit of those of you who weren’t in the course or who haven’t read the book (it’s on page 199):
Identifying your goals and resources
1. If you knew you could not fail, what would you most want to do for the healing of our world?
I came up with a list of five ambitious visions:
· Start with global warming. Reduce CO2 in the air to a sustainable level
· Make Los Angeles into a Transition Town
· Make The Great Turning the overarching main context for stories in the mass media, replacing Business as Usual and the Great Unraveling
· Overthrow the corporate empire and replace it with a just, humane, and sustainable system
· Help co-create an emerging planetary consciousness capable of decision making to heal the earth
2. What specific goal or project could you realistically aim to achieve in the next twelve months that would contribute to this?
We had to work with just one. Due to health limitations (I cannot speak and can barely walk) I ruled out the first four. A project with any of them would require working with others in a way that would involve at least some walking and/or talking. The fifth is something I could work on from my computer without leaving the house. I really want to do them all.